The following adaptation has been collated by Councillor J H Wright Chairman of Pleasley Parish Council from various magazines, books, the archives and the internet, and from interviews with people for the benefit of whoever may be interested in the history of the Verney Institute, Pleasley.


It was in the early Edwardian era that Pleasley Parish contained about 90 houses. The earliest recalled Lord of the Manor of Pleasley in the early thirteenth century was Robert De Willoughby who in the late thirteenth century sold the Manor of Pleasley to Thomas Bek, younger brother of John, Lord Bek of Eresby (Lincs) who was Bishop of St Davids until his death in 1293, In 1285 Thomas had a grant of a weekly market and a three-day annual fair at Pleasley and a free warren in his demesne lands (estates), as well as a licence to fortify and crenellate (furnish with battlements)